Authors: Jamie Way

Twenty-seven year old Shawn McCarty was killed Saturday after losing control of his motorcycle on Drake between Lemay and Stover.

“I called 911 when I heard there was a motorcycle accident and gave them the address, but they said it’d already been reported,” said Ron Pino, a Woodword Governor employee.

According to Sergeant Dave Haywood, witnesses’ reports said McCarty just lost control of his motorcycle, resulting in the accident. Some witnesses speculated that he may have been speeding, but due to lack of skid marks, the police were unable to determine McCarty’s speed.

McCarty’s body laid in the street for approximately two hours, uncovered, while onlookers stopped and stared.

“I can’t believe this. The body is just laying out there like that,” said Claud Corzatt, an onlooker. “If I was a family member I’d be madder than hell.”

Under Colorado state law, the coroner leads all investigations involving deaths, requiring that the body remain undisturbed until the coroner arrives on the scene.

“We are hurrying to take accurate measurements,” Haywood said.

Haywood said the body remained uncovered and unidentified for so long because covering or touching the body may cause it to become contaminated.

“I understand why they have to do it, but it’s terrible to keep him lying there like that. If he was a family member of mine, I wouldn’t want him lying there for everyone to see,” said Regina Snelling, an onlooker.

McCarty’s plates expired on October 13, indicating he had likely only had his motorcycle for 8 days before the accident. Temporary plates are for good 45 days, unless renewed in which case they are road legal for 90 days.

Marty Bateman, an onlooker who had seen a similar accident last year said, “I don’t know why there isn’t a law about wearing helmets.”

Under Colorado state law, an operator of a motorcycle is only required to wear eye protection. McCarty’s sunglasses lay next to his body.

“This is just my opinion, but in my opinion, if he was wearing a helmet he’d be alive,” Haywood said.

FYI: My pictures are by Jeff Davis, on onlooker