Centered around involvement

Authors: Christiana Nelson

Amidst snow cones and a disc jockey was the Alpine Ski Team’s biggest source of publicity Wednesday.

Greg Ritter, a senior construction management student and member of the ski team, believes that setting up a table at Centertainment is the best way to get new members.

“Most of the new people we get come from Centertainment,” Ritter said. “It helps us out a lot.”

Centertainment, is a biannual event that invites all registered student organizations to participate by paying a $10 fee to set up an informational table on the Lory Student Center Plaza.

The event is such a long-lasting CSU tradition that organizers cannot remember a time when it was not around. Much like the organizers of Centertainment, Ritter does not know when the Alpine Ski Club began, but knows from personal experience that it was a long time ago.

“My mom used to race on this team when she went to school here,” Ritter said. “That was a long time ago, like the 60s or 70s.”

Kelly Brush, a senior construction management major and office assistant for the Student Organizations Office, said Centertainment is a major benefit to registering an organization.

“The Student Organization’s Office provides organization,” Brush said. “We rent out the Plaza, provide water, food, live entertainment, electrical outlets and general support.”

Wednesday’s Centertainment drew 120 organizations and thousands of interested students to the Plaza between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., according to the Student Organization’s Office.

Chrissy Schaefer, a freshman Spanish major, found Centertainment to be a great resource for future involvement.

“I’ve gotten lots of good info,” Schaefer said. “I had no idea that there were this many different activities. I’m the kind of person who overdoes it, but it’s been good. Everyone is so helpful, I haven’t had a question go unanswered.”

Lorenzo Marmolejo, a sophomore restaurant and resort management major, has attended Centertainment for three years and has never become bored with checking out the different student organizations on campus.

“Every time I come it seems like I find something new,” Marmolejo said. “Sometimes I’m interested, sometimes I’m not, but it gives me a chance to be active, which I need. Plus, there’s free candy.”

Whether students are returning to Centertainment or are first time attendees, Brush says the Student Organization’s Office’s goal is the same.

“We hope students come away with greater knowledge of the 315 student organizations,” Brush said. “There are so many ways they can chose to be involved, not to mention that they can start their own. We want them to leave college knowing they were involved in a student organization.”