To the Editor:

Authors: Brian Depew

Many of the troops in Iraq today are our peers, 19, 20, 21 and 22 years old; the same age as us. They were sent there by President Bush to find weapons of mass destruction. They dropped many bombs. They fired many bullets. Hundreds of them have been killed. The bombs they dropped killed thousands of Iraqis and wounded tens of thousands more.

In the end they didn’t find any weapons of mass destruction but still they remain in Iraq, long after they were told they would be able to go home. Every day another one of them dies.

As long as our peers are not home, the people that were against the war must not be at home either. It is time to go back to the streets where we were in April. To say that the war was wrong than, and the occupation is wrong now.

Every Saturday at noon on the corner of College Avenue and Mulberry Street in Fort Collins people meet to dissent from the current administration and show support for the troops by saying, “Bring them home now.” See you on Saturday.

Brian Depew

Dept. of Philosophy

Graduate Student

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Authors: Michael Robeson

Nicki Worrell, a Fort Collins 20-year-old Iraqi war veteran who was wounded, is slated to receive a Purple Heart medal and a Bronze Star or Army commendation medal for valor. Worrell said of the medals: “When you’ve been in the Army, they mean a lot. Maybe to someone else they’re just $2 things made in China, but I’m proud to get one,” Worrell said of the metals. How many American college students would have the pride in their country to say this?

Most Americans, students and adults, are accustomed to buying clothes, toys and electronic appliances made in China but shouldn’t the American government have more pride in itself than to allow its military medals of valor to be manufactured there? Sure, the government may be saving taxpayer money having them made by Chinese workers earning less than one-tenth of American workers but I believe that American heroes deserve to receive 100 percent American made medals. And if taxpayers get angry about another example of government overspending, well, I ask, where is their patriotism? I don’t notice taxpayers getting angry about the no-bid military contracts given to Halliburton. Couldn’t the administration find, among its large campaign contributors, someone who owns a medal-making factory?

Sincerely,

Michael Robeson

CSU faculty