Authors: Christiana Nelson

Flag football and formal attire are not a common combination, but starting Sept. 3 both will be a significant part of Greek recruitment at CSU, demonstrating the contrast between fraternity and sorority Rush Weeks.

“Fraternities do (a) completely different rush than sororities,” said Maegan Hendricks, a sophomore engineering sciences major and member of the Kappa Delta sorority.

Both fraternities and sororities have been planning events and contacting potential members over the summer, but Tim Ulrich, vice president of recruitment for the Inter-fraternity Council, agrees that Rush is a very different experience for men and women.

“Sorority recruitment is much more structured than fraternity recruitment,” Ulrich said in an email interview. “Women will narrow the scope of the chapters that they continue to revisit throughout the week, while men can go to any of the chapters throughout the week.”

Female Rush is planned with potential recruits going through three rounds. Each round increases the formality of the required attire and events. The registration for sorority Rush costs $35 for the week and includes transportation.

Males, on the other hand, require no registration or fee and have the freedom to attend whatever events they desire during the week.

Anna Schirf, a senior Spanish major and member of Delta Delta Delta, confirms that female Rush is very structured when compared to the irregularity of male Rush.

“I think sororities have a more formal Rush,” Schirf said. “The guys are definitely more casual. They have open houses, play volleyball and do events elsewhere.”

For diverse reasons, the Greek recruitment experience may not appeal to all students. Richard Fritsche, a senior computer science major, came into college with a predetermined decision about Greek life.

“I’m not interested,” Fritsche said. “I never was interested. Fraternities aren’t really my type of thing. I have enough other things to do, like get out of school.”

Although there are students who are not interested in the Greek life, Ulrich expects at least 450 women to register and participate in Greek recruitment events, with an estimated 70 percent of those women joining a chapter.

As a new transfer student from Texas, sophomore Tara Hughes is excited to meet a lot of people and make new friends during Rush Week.

“I’m going to check it out,” said Hughes a wildlife biology major. “I’m a transfer from Texas A&M and I want to see what it is all about. I hope I’ll meet new people, kind of what everyone wants out of a sorority.”

Men do not have to register and therefore it is difficult to determine a percentage of new members, but Ulrich estimates that approximately 250 men will take part in the week’s events.

Javon Baker, a freshman English major, is curious to learn about the fraternities on the CSU campus and cannot foresee any downfalls to being Greek.

“I like the brotherhood and the community service,” Baker said. “I really don’t see any negatives. It will probably be a bunch of wild things, but I’m just open to whatever.”

According to the Greek Life office, 85 percent of Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity or sorority. Yet, Logan Faelber, a junior business management major and member of Delta Chi, believes the benefits of Greek life begin long before students graduate.

“It’s an awesome opportunity,” Faelber said. “You meet new people and get networked throughout the university. It is a big part of having a good college experience.”

How to get involved…

Register on the web at CSUGreeks.com or contact Greek Life Office at 491-0966

Registration lasts until 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3 and is $35 for women; free for men

Men can participate at any time of the week, but are encouraged to begin visiting ASAP