Making the rounds

Authors: Gabriel Dance

Every summer I work to save up some money for a few key school year necessities: clothes, food, and…drink. It may sound stupid to save money with the sole intention of pouring it down my throat, and that’s because it is, but it’s what I, and several thousand other students at CSU, enjoy doing. Whether it be the atmosphere, the drinks, the potential of meeting a significant (or not so significant) other, or whatever your fancy, there’s probably a bar in Fort Collins that has what you’re looking for. And though I am no bar professional (I haven’t figured out how to get paid yet) I thought I’d offer my tips for the places to go where the deals are hot and so are the…you know.

Mondays

If you find yourself wanting to drink on Monday night I think you should ask yourself one question. Why not?

Hot Spot:

The hot spot on Monday nights is usually Sullivan’s Tavern. Monday night is flip-night at this sports bar, which means the waitperson will flip a quarter and if you are fortunate enough to guess the correct outcome your drink will be 25 cents. If you happen to guess incorrectly, your drink is regular price.

Hot Tip:

If you guess the same side of the coin every time, chances are you will get about half your drinks for a quarter. That’s an inside tip so don’t ask me what my sources are.

Sleeper Bar:

The Avenue is located on College Avenue just south of Old Chicago and recently I had the opportunity to indulge myself with several $5 fishbowls filled to the brim with a mixture of rums and fruit juices. Now although I did feel a bit silly sipping a bright pink drink out of a fishbowl with a straw, I must admit I felt much sillier after sipping several more.

Tuesdays

For those of us who took Monday off, Tuesday is a perfect day to indulge. Why you ask? Because tomorrow is Wednesday. For those who didn’t take Monday off, we all know there is just one way to cure a hangover.

Hot Spot:

Tuesday nights belong to one bar and one bar only. At Washington’s Bar & Grill I can order two beers and a nasty shot of well tequila and lay down just $2. And that’s including a decent tip! Yeah the beers are a little small and the well drinks are a little ill, but honestly, it would be wrong to pass on 59 cent drinks.

Hot Tip:

Don’t order two beers and a nasty shot of well tequila for yourself, order them for your friend.

Sleeper Bar:

Lucky Joe’s Sidewalk Saloon in Old Town Square has $2 Guinness all day and all night so if you’re into gaining weight, pretending you’re Irish or drinking petrol then sit down and have breakfast, lunch and dinner in a glass.

Wednesday

You can’t spell Wednesday without having a couple drinks. Why you ask? ‘Cause seriously, somebody had to be boozing when they decided to put the letter ‘D’ in Wednesday.

Hot Spot:

Really it’s somewhat of a toss-up on Wednesday nights. Linden’s Brewing Company has $1 drafts of their own micros that I enjoy, but some complain about hangover effects, while Tony’s Restaurant & Lounge has $1 drafts of micros such as Odell’s Easy Street Wheat. A neat trick to remember is that these two bars are within walking distance of each other so if you’re not digging one you can easily get to the other.

Hot Tip:

Drinking too much of any micro will cause most people to complain heartily about a hangover. That is unless you’re like the old man who used to drink two beers in under five seconds at the end of every episode of The Man Show. I bet he never complained, even when he died from liver cancer.

Sleeper Bar:

If you’re down for a good snooze, check out The Matrixx. Seriously, that place hasn’t woken up in years.

Thursday:

Thursday has long been a day for celebration. Why you ask? Because it is only one of seven days of the week that ends with the word “day.” That and the fact that on our class schedule Thursday is abbreviated using the letter ‘R’, and everybody knows that ‘R’ stands for Red Bull & Vodka.

Hot Spot:

Sullivan’s has Thursday nights on lock. I have but one hyphenated word for anybody looking for a good time – four-for-ones. If you think I mean that you can get four drinks for the price of one then you are excellent at understanding the nuances of the English language. Most people follow Sullivan’s with a trip to Washington’s for $1 drafts . . . whether they remember they did or not.

Hot Tip:

Try not to drink so much that you don’t remember what you did the previous night. Seriously I did that one time and I don’t remember what happened but it probably wasn’t cool.

Sleeper Bar:

Thursday night’s sleeper bar is your bed. After a long night at this bar I am always well prepared for whatever Friday night’s bar might be.

Friday, Saturday

After such a long week of bar-hopping I can’t see how I can justify going to the bars on these nights of the week. Oh wait . . . there’s no school the next day!

Hot Spot:

Wherever you end up there’s only one place to really start out. Tailgate Tommy’s has $2 U Call Its, a good crowd and a great location. Even though the service can be rough around the edges due to long lines and overextended bartenders, I still call it fantastic.

Hot Tip:

$2 U Call It x 5 Calls = 1 Bad Call

Hottest Tip: As much fun as the bars can be there is absolutely no reason to drink and drive. Although the public transportation in Fort Collins is far less than adequate, a 45-minute wait for a cab ride is worth it every time. Be responsible and you’ll wake up feeling better the next morning- guaranteed.