Authors: Steve Latuda

PK – Mason Crosby, a 6-foot-2 inch, 200 pound freshman will take on the duties of kicking extra points and squeezing three points out of a stalled drive. Crosby will replace departed Patrick Brougham who had a disappointing year last year converting on 11 of 25 field goals and 40 of 43 extra points. Though Crosby will be the place kicker, freshman Kevin Eberhart will handle the kick-off duties.

P – John Torp, a 6-foot-2 inch, 200 pound sophomore will handle the punting duties. Torp learned from last year’s standout Mark Mariscal while recording three punts for an impressive 49.7-yard average. Torp’s longest punt last year traveled 63 yards.

PR – Skier and football player Jeremy Bloom handles the punt return duties. Bloom who stands only 5-foot-9 inches and weighs 175 pounds is a very dangerous threat. Last year Bloom found the end zone against the Rams, and is being counted on this year to do the same. The Loveland High School grad totaled two touchdowns with his longest return going for 80 yards.

KR – Bloom is also one of the two Buffs that will be returning kickoffs. The other will be starting tailback Bobby Purify. This will be the first time Purify has returned a kickoff, but the 6-foot senior has the speed and allusiveness to be a threat. Sophomore J.J. Billingsley, another speed demon, is a possible replacement.

Holder/Snapper – Senior wide receiver John Donahoe will be counted on to hold the ball for the kickers, and 6-foot-5 inch, 260-pound senior Jake Jones will snap for punts, and 6-foot, 240-pound sophomore Greg Pace will handle the field goal and extra point snaps.

Coach – Coach Gary Barnett is entering his fourth season as head coach of the Buffaloes and his 14th overall. Coach Barnett has a record 29 wins and 21 losses while at CU, and is 78-82 with two ties for his career. Barnett has led the Buffs to back-to-back Big 12 North Division Championships, but has not won a season opener while at CU. He helped rebuild Northwestern’s football team during the mid-90s, but has problems relating to his players.