Authors: Jodi Friedman

Residence hall security tightens

Safety issues the past two years have led to Housing and Food Services taking action to increase safety for residence hall students, said Jim Dolak, executive director for Housing and Food Services.

Dorm residents are protected more now than in previous years because residence halls have newly-upgraded security systems.

“If you look back at events in the community in 2002, there was an awareness of the assaults,” said Jim Dolak. “We want to make the resident halls as safe as possible.”

Parmelee Hall, Braiden Hall, Ingersoll Hall and Edwards Hall are guarded with tri-level security. This means external access is obtained through electronic keys and separate keys must then be used to open corridors and private rooms. Corbett Hall already had this triple level electronic access.

Exterior doors are monitored to ensure they maintain in proper position.

“If the doors do not return to their secure position, alarms will go off at the front desks,” Dolak said, adding that alarms will also go off at certain doors during select nighttime hours if the doors are not in the secured position.

Manual key locks were installed in Newsom and Ellis Halls, and electronic access also controls all 104 community bathrooms. People who tamper with the alarms and locks will be referred to the University Judicial System, Dolak said.

Westfall, Durward and Allison Halls all remain unchanged.

Members of the Security Enhancement Steering Committee, composed of Residence Hall Association, CSU Police Department and other residence hall faculty, started the security improvements in August 2002. Dolak said the changes are funded by room and board charges for students living on campus.

Some students feel the security changes will be hassle.

“It sounds ridiculous having three keys that you have to carry around everyday,” said Kim Herman, a freshman interior design major.

Dan Stevens, a freshman health & exercise science major, said he can see both sides of the issue.

“It’s probably a good idea but it will probably be a pain in the neck,” Stevens said.

Despite the extra time it will take for students to travel in and around the dorms, some people view the enhancements in a positive light.

“For 99 out of 100 times, it’s not necessary but for the one time it is keeping somebody safe, it’s worth it,” said Adam Bleger, a junior finance and real estate major.

Student safety will continue to be a priority for campus faculty and safety services, but Dolak said there must also be caution and effort from students to achieve the goal of maximum protection.

“Regardless of what we do to the doors, it is up to the students to be safe by locking their own doors,” Dolak said.