Jul 292003

Authors: J.J. Babb

On Aug. 13 CSU President Larry Penley will cut the ribbon marking the grand opening of CSU’s Denver Center.

CSU Denver, which has just moved to 410 17th Street, between 16th and 17th Streets on Tremont in Downtown Denver, will host its grand opening from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 13. Penley will be speaking and cutting the ribbon at 12:15 p.m.

“One purpose (of the open house) is we moved to a new building,” said Debra Spann, CSU Denver administrative assistant for marketing.

The Grand Opening will give visitors a chance to learn more about the Denver Center’s graduate degree programs, certificates offered, professional development and online and distance learning programs.

“Another purpose (of the open house) is that many people don’t know CSU Denver exists,” Spann said. “One of the reasons is to open the doors to the public to show CSU Denver is part of Denver and also part of the CSU community.”

The campus is a self-supporting unity that “develops and delivers quality programs and educational opportunities in support of the University’s land grant mission,” according to their Web site www.learn.colostate.edu.

CSU Denver, which has been offering distance learning since 1967, serves around 13,000 students a year, according to their Web site. The programs are not subsidized by the state of Colorado.

CSU Denver offers graduate school programs including Ph.D. programs on their campus. They also offer distance and online learning programs for undergraduate degrees, certificates and continuing education classes.

The campus also features the Rocky Mountain Institute for Transportation Safety and does on-site and custom training.

CSU Denver’s mission statement is: “To provide customer-focused educational and training programs in response to needs of Colorado citizens and businesses. Continuing Education utilizes face-to-face and distance methods of delivery to carry out the land grant mission of Colorado State University.”

For more information about the Denver Center’s Open House or educational programs visit www.learn.colostate.edu or call 303-573-6318.