Jul 162003

Authors: Shandra Jordan Colleen Buhrer Jason Kosena

Colorado’s change in insurance policy may bring us a decrease in auto insurance costs, but will only raise our health insurance and risk taken with driving.

Changing from a no-fault to an at-fault system will force the individual at fault in the accident to pay for his or her medical costs and the medical costs of all others involved in the accident. This added risk demands an increase in medical coverage through auto insurance and health insurance.

This is a problem for many students since few students have great health insurance. In fact many have little to no health insurance coverage due to the already high costs of these policies. This puts us at risk if we are at fault in an auto accident to not be able to receive the medical treatment we need.

If we are injured in an accident where the other driver is at-fault and that driver does not carry insurance, we are again in a tough spot. If one has not purchased the additional and expensive uninsured or underinsured coverage on his or her policy, he or she will be left to dry if they do not have a health insurance policy which fully covers the injuries.

This policy change may be “what all the other states are doing,” but it puts students and others unable to afford additional medical or health insurance coverage at a huge risk.