Jul 012003

Authors: J.J. Babb

Need a mid-week break? Something fun to do on a Tuesday night? If so, then the Tuesday Nite Out Series is just what may be needed.

Tuesday Nite Out Series, a collaborative project between the City of Fort Collins and CSU provides concerts and movies every other Tuesday night. Each event takes place at a different local park in hopes of encouraging teens and college students to make more use of the parks, according to the City of Fort Collins Parks Department.

“Our initial thought was one to try to attract neighbors. Ideally these concerts are for people within walking or biking distance from the parks. So it’s a true neighborhood event,” said Ginny Sawyer, neighborhood administrator. “Also we wanted to attract college students and the under-18 crowd that doesn’t always have a lot to do during the summer.”

Parks staff provides free bike parking to encourage fewer parking hassles for those attending as well as neighbors bordering the park.

The first event brought in 354 attendees to Troutman Park. Although not many were college students or younger, a lot of families did bike or walk to the concert.

“I think the draw is really simply it’s free outdoor music and movies,” said Cree Bol, Off Campus Community Liaison.

Bol explains those attending do not have to make a commitment to stay the whole night. One may come listen for a while, play some Frisbee and buy a slice of pizza.

“It’s real simple,” Bol said.

One of the goals of the project is to provide a neighborhood feel to each event. The organizers hope to do this through having each concert at a different local event and having local high school and college bands play at each event, which Bol sees as a draw for college students.

“It’s a chance to see their peers on stage,” Bol said.

Outdoor adventure movie clips are also shown after the concerts.

The Tuesday Nite Out Series is entirely funded by Fort Fun and local sponsors including: Buddha Brothers, Cricket, University House at Ram’s Pointe, CSU Outdoor Adventure Program and Mountain Music.

Out box:

July 17, Rogers Park 6-9 p.m., Bands: Thurman’s Ashes and Garuko

July 22, Buckingham Park 6-9 p.m., with Groupo Folklorico “Flor Antigua” and Band TBA

Aug. 12, Library Park, 7-9 p.m., Band: Rusty Bucket and outdoor-adventure movies

Aug. 26, City Park, 6-9 p.m., Bands: Blue is Blood and This For Now

Sept. 9, Spring Park, 6-9 pm., Mimic and the Norads plus outdoor movies