Jul 012003

Authors: Shandra Jordan

CSU’s Club Baseball Team came out of last season with a strong showing at the National Tournament and one player headed for the major leagues.

Nate Nowicki, a junior finance real estate major at CSU and a pitcher for CSU’s club team last spring was drafted to the Florida Marlins on the second day of the draft in the 19th round.

“Throughout the course of the season he generated some interest,” said Frank Gonzales, the coach of CSU’s team. “In late April or May, 12 national junior league scouts came out and watched him play at CSU.”

The Marlin’s contacted him and he threw while the team was in Florida for the National Tournament of the National Club Baseball Association.

Nowicki was unavailable for comment as he is currently with the Marlins

Nowicki is playing for the Marlins’ minor league this summer but plans to return to CSU to take some classes and train during the off-season and go back to Florida for spring training, Gonzales said.

“He definitely earned it, and hopefully he’ll have a long and prosperous career,” Gonzales said. “It’s a pretty neat opportunity for a club team to have a player drafted.”

CSU’s club team placed fourth in the National Tournament, May 21 to 26. They won in the Rocky Mountain League, only losing one game in league all season.

“There were some really amazing teams out there,” Gonzales said. “You just see all these schools who have programs in baseball and then you see Colorado State.”

CSU has not had a varsity team since 1995 when it was eliminated for budget reasons.

“We were really excited to go to nationals,” said Damon Myers, the team president. “Next year I know it’s going to be a young team because last year we had a lot of older guys.”