Jun 242003

Authors: Jason Kosena

For Jeffery Hathaway, the out-going athletic director at CSU, Fort Collins and the CSU community have been a blessing and a privilege to work with and serve.

“I would not trade these two years (at CSU) for anything in the world,” Hathaway said.

The individuals that Hathaway has associated with for the past two years have become special to him in more than one way.

“The people I’ve met (while working at CSU) are not only wonderful colleagues, but also life-long friends now,” Hathaway said.

But Hathaway hasn’t forgot the real reason why he was at CSU for the last two years, believing that the success athletic department has seen during his time here is due to the students.

“Most importantly, I’ve had the opportunity to work with wonderful student athletes and other undergraduates,” Hathaway said.

During Hathaway’s tenure at CSU, the athletic department has accomplished much in the way of progress.

During the 2002-03 athletic year, CSU won four Mountain West Conference championships, sent the Men’s basketball team to the NCAA Tournament and drew national media attention with the announcement this spring of a $15.2 million gift from the Bohemian Foundation.

The $15.2 million will be used for expansion and renovation of the newly-named Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium.

The success of the student athletes was the most important aspect for Hathaway.

“The academic success of our student athletes, the success CSU has seen in these areas, that is the most important part,” Hathaway said.

Hathaway will be leaving CSU to serve as the athletic director of the University of Connecticut, the same university that Hathaway served for 11 years prior to coming to Colorado and CSU.

“I had worked (at Uconn) for 11 years. Having been part of that, there is a tie to that university,” Hathaway said. “My kids were born there.”

Leaving CSU is another turn in the road for Hathaway, but he will carry his experience here on with him to his next position.

“My experience at CSU has taught me that my job is about people. First and foremost we are here to serve the university as a whole,” Hathaway said.

CSU is also sad to see Hathaway leave for Connecticut.

“Even though he’s only been here a short time, Jeff has had a tremendous impact at the university,” said Al Yates, president of CSU, in last week’s Collegian.

CSU is becoming accustomed to searching for new athletic directors. Since the departure of Fum McGraw, the athletic director of CSU for 11 years, five directors have come and gone.

Although CSU is unsure who number six will be, an eight-person search committee has been formed to start the process of finding a new director, and an interim director, Christine Susemihl the current associate athletics director for compliance at CSU, has been named.

While the search continues for a new athletic director at CSU, Hathaway is preparing for his new job in Connecticut.

“I believe very strongly in the president (of Uconn) and believe very strongly in the university as a whole,” Hathaway said.