Jun 242003

Authors: J.J. Babb

This year’s Department of Music, Theatre and Dance will host the 27th year of Caf/ Summer Theatre opening July 1. The theatre has cut down from three to two shows this summer due to budget cuts.

“The reason (we cut a show) is because of severe budget cuts,” director of publicity for the department of Music, Theatre and Dance Alana Minor said.

A dance and silent auction will be held July 20 to benefit the Caf/ Summer Theatre.

“Theatre is art and entertainment and community outreach all in one uniquely harmonized form. Saving our summer theatre program enables CSU to retain an invaluable means of fulfilling its mission- connecting our students with the people in our community in pursuit of knowledge and pleasure and appreciation of our simple humanity,” co-director Eric Prince said in a press release.

The theatre, located in the courtyard of the Clark Building, serves desserts, snacks and beverages as audiences enjoy plays under the stars.

“A major part of our mission at this university is to connect as part of the community,” Prince said. “It is to entertain, spread knowledge and create relationships and theater does that in a happy way.”

The plays to be performed this year are “The Fantasticks” and “Private Lives.”

“The Fantasticks,” the longest running musical in the world, will be performed July 1, 5, 9, 11, 17, 18, 23, 24 and 26.

“The Fantasticks” is co-directed by Theatre Professor and resident playwright Prince and Travis Risner, a Northern Colorado vocalist and performer. The music will be directed by Bruce Burbank, a recognized pianist and organist. Burbank is the music director and staff accompanist for the Dance Program.

“Private Lives,” Noel Coward’s most successful play, will be performed July 2, 3, 10, 12, 16, 19 and 25. Prince also directs “Private Lives.”

Prince recommends attending the Caf/ Summer Theatre for the experience.

“We think (this season) is going to be very successful,” Price said. “It’s well supported and we’ve to respect this support and not let people down.”