Authors: Kyle Endres, Adrienne Hoenig

Lory Student Center Catering won first place in the 2003 Loyal E. Horton Dining Awards contest for the large school catering-special event category.

“It’s pretty up-there, it’s pretty prestigious,” said Jerry Ondaro, catering director. “The competition is very, very fierce.”

The department catered the 23rd Annual Spring Benefit, “Fistful of Dollars,” hosted by the Poudre Valley Hospital Foundation to benefit the Children’s Clinic Endowment Fund. More than 900 people attended the event held in the CSU Equine Center.

LSC Catering transformed the dusty, minimal electricity Equine Center into an elegant rocky mountain scene. Kris Folsom, marketing director for the LSC, was very impressed by this.

“One of the most exciting things about this event is they took the Equine Center, which is normally thought of as a dusty place for rodeos and polo matches, (and) turned it into a very high-profile event for the Fort Collins community,” Folsom said. “This award is a great achievement for Lory Student Center Catering.”

LSC Catering threw a western theme into the event including western rice with dried cherries and pinion nuts, wild asparagus with western sauce and cowboy boots carved out of cheese.

“The menu had a very strong western flare,” Ondaro said. “I was confident that we did an excellent job.”

The department will be recognized July 11 at the Dining Awards Luncheon in Kansas City.

LSC Catering has never won an award of this caliber before.

“We are extremely honored to take first place,” Ondaro said. “It is certainly something that is admired by all universities throughout the entire country.”

Stephanie Nally, sophomore human development student, eats in the LSC dining center pretty often. She was impressed LSC Catering had won such a big award.

“I hear the food at CSU is a lot better than other places,” Nally said. “That’s pretty cool.”