Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

CSU men’s rugby team will hold a fundraiser Friday at the Sunset Event Center on 242 Linden St.

“We kind of wanted to find some way we could make some money for the team and have fun at the same time,” said Kyle Fenton, senior health and exercise science student and president of the rugby team.

The event will include three live bands and an easy-going atmosphere said Tim Guerra, senior speech communications major and member of the rugby team.

“Everyone likes to have a good time and listen to good music,” Guerra said. “I’m just hoping we get a lot of people to show up.”

Local bands Soul Creek, Touched and Plan B will perform at the event. Travis Houle, member of Soul Creek, said he thinks it is important to support less-than-mainstream student activities

“It’s different, it’s up and coming,” Houle said. “It is definitely a rough sport and I respect the players.”

Dave Curtis, junior open option student and member of the band Plan B, hopes students will come to the event even if they don’t know much about rugby.

“I think any school event is a cool event to support,” Curtis said. “It’s great to see kids coming out and supporting things that CSU is doing.”

The fundraiser will begin at 9:00 p.m. and continue on until 1:00 a.m. Tickets are $5 for those 21 and over and $10 for those under 21.

Rugby began at CSU in 1970 with 17 players. Now, the team is home to 65 members. They are hoping to raise enough money to help pay for uniforms, dues, travel and tournament fees.

“We pay everything out of our own pockets,” Guerra said. “We try and do fundraisers whenever we can.”

The team is not really sure how much money they will bring in, but they’re hoping for something more than $500.

“It really depends on who shows up,” Fenton said. “It’ll be a lot of good local live music. I’d like to bring in at least 100 people.”