Authors: Eric Todd Patton

In Hollywood during the summer there is only one thing on everyone’s mind: blockbuster! With all of the blockbusters and sequels coming out this summer, “X-Men: X2” is a great start to both.

The first film left Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) on a search for his past, Magneto (Sir Ian McKellen) in a plastic prison and the rest of the X-Men happy in their school in upstate New York. But they did not relieve the tension among humans and mutants.

With an impending war on mutants, some humans have already started battling, threatening to wipe out all mutants. After a mutant apparently tried to kill the president, Colonel Stryker (played by Brian Cox) is called in to handle the dangerous situation.

With detailed descriptions of Professor X’s (Patrick Stewart’s) mutant school, he launches a military strike, trying to round up as many “gifted” students he can. After capturing several of them and Professor X, the livelihood of all mutants is at stake.

In order to stop Stryker from his rampage against the mutants, the X-Men must unite with all other mutants, ally and enemy.

Does it sound pretty cheesy? Sounds like one of those very typical morality stories, good versus evil? It is, but that is what makes it damn appealing. It is the old formula with that exciting comic book feel. That is what made the cartoon great when I was younger and that is what makes the movie great now.

Despite the seemingly ridiculousness of it all, with mutants fighting off hate filled humans in a new form of racism, the great Stan Lee has always allowed settings for great story telling, which is exemplified here.

If you liked the first one, you will love this one. It has been intensified with the introduction of those lost characters like Nightcrawler. My only complaint is that they still have not introduced Gambit into the film series. I was thinking Johnny Depp for the role, what do you think?

Although I strongly disagree with including love stories into action movies, I am doing my damnedest to see past the Cyclopes-Wolverine-Jean Grey triangle they try to beat into our heads. I think if that element of the plot were taken out, nothing would be lost and there would be a stronger focus on the actual dilemma, which is finding equality for mutants among humans.

As my last review I will be writing for the Collegian, I am glad it was for such an enjoyable movie. With everything considered, this was a brilliant and exciting start to a summer of blockbusters. It had everything one could want in a fun, entertaining movie.

And, being my last review, I just wanted to say there are so few continuous threads that bind us all together, and I feel film is one of them. Ask around; virtually everybody has a favorite movie. I hope, if there has been anybody out there reading my reviews, that it sparked some kind of thought toward this sensational art form. Now go see “X2,” and see if you disagree with a B grade.

Starring: Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Brian Cox, Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, Anna Paquin, and Allan Cumming.

Directed By: Bryan Singer

What You Need To Know: Despite taking a while to wrap up, it is a brilliant start to the summer blockbuster season.

FINAL GRADE: B