Authors: Luke Cornish

The season continues.

After finishing in the top 10 every tournament this season, the CSU men’s golf team was invited to participate in the NCAA Western Regional Championships.

The team will travel to Auburn, Wash., to compete against the 26 other teams that received the invitation, including Mountain West Conference rivals New Mexico, Brigham Young and UNLV. The tournament will take place May 15 to 17 and will be held at the 7,304-yard, 72-par Washington National Golf Club.

“I feel good about this team,” CSU head coach Jamie Bermel said. “Obviously we didn’t play as well as we would have hoped (at the Mountain West Conference tournament) but I think we can do well.”

The Rams are seeded No. 15, above all the other Mountain West teams. They will just need to finish in the top 10 to qualify for the national tournament that takes place May 28 to 31 and will feature the top 40 teams in the country.

“We just need to play solid golf to qualify,” Bermel said. “We don’t have to play great, just solid.”

This marks the eighth consecutive time the men’s team has been invited to the NCAA Tournament and this may very well be the best group assembled ever for the Rams. They have finished in the top 10 in every tournament this season and one more solid performance will see them competing for the national title.

The success of the Rams is due in part to the hard work and competitiveness of two juniors, Martin Laird, who won two tournaments during the season, and Nolan Martin, who has been close behind Laird all year. The Rams will also look to senior Geoff Nuwash, who has seen his play take off after a successful outing at the BYU Cougar Classic at the end of April.

“Nolan Martin and Martin Laird have had really good years, and Geoff Nuwash has played really well in the last couple of tournaments,” Bermel said. “We’re going to keep working on our putting and hope that we can pull it out when it matters.”

Before the players leave Fort Collins they will have to take care of their academic responsibilities.

“We are leaving in the middle of finals week so the players are taking their tests early,” Bermel said. “It’s important that they take care of their studies and get their academic work in order.”