Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

Anthony Rock thought he would never play another round of disc golf on campus.

As of spring break, the disc golf course was to be removed from CSU’s main campus because of safety concerns. The course, which currently sits west of the Lory Student Center, near the Lagoon, was supposed to be relocated behind the Holiday Inn in the south campus area.

But Rock, along with Associated Students of CSU, was able to strike up a tentative compromise with CSU officials.

“They’re changing it from nine holes down to seven holes,” said Rock, a senior construction management student. “We’ve all worked together to get this done and I’m very excited.”

The course will be rebuilt over the summer, combining holes nine and eight into one as well as holes four and five into one. These holes are located near the Vietnam Memorial Bridge.

“We’re going to pull the two most dangerous holes,” said David Bower, ASCSU president. The south campus area will still get a new disc golf course where students can play more recklessly.

“In return, we get nine holes on the south campus,” Bower said. “It’s kind of a win-win situation.”

Fall 2003 will be a trial period for the revised main campus course.

“It’s entirely the students’ responsibility to go out there and be safe while they’re playing,” Rock said. “If anybody gets injured, there’s going to be some much more drastic changes.”

Chair of the University Safety Committee Earlie Thomas said he does not want to wait for someone to get seriously injured before removing the course.

“What’s safe enough for me means there are no Frisbees going where people are walking,” Thomas said. “We won’t wait for somebody to get hit.”

The University Safety Committee plans to monitor the course very closely in fall 2003.

“If Frisbees are going across sidewalks, things are happening where people could be potentially injured,” Thomas said, “we’ll eliminate the course completely.”

Jessica Cruz, junior construction management major, walks near the disc golf course almost every day. A disc has never actually hit Cruz, but she said sometimes they have come too close for comfort.

“I’ll be walking and it will land just two feet in front of me,” Cruz said. “You don’t always think to look around and see who’s playing Frisbee.”

She thinks eliminating two of the holes near the Vietnam Memorial Bridge will help reduce the problem.

“That’s where I’ve come close to being hit,” Cruz said. “I think that is a really good idea.”

Gerry Bomotti, vice president for administrative services, hopes they can make the compromise work.

“We all agreed to work together and make some adjustments to improve safety,” Bomotti said. “The real test will be if students can use it without harm to other students and visitors on campus.”