Authors: Amy Resseguie

The Phi Kappa Tau fraternity will host their second annual “Spike at Night” fundraiser May 2 and 3 to help send kids to summer camp.

Proceeds from the two-day volleyball tournament will go to benefit Paul Newman’s “Hole in the Wall Gang” summer camps. These camps allow kids aged seven to 17 who are battling chronic and life-threatening diseases a week at a traditional summer camp, free of charge.

Phi Kappa Tau is charging $10 per person for each team that would like to participate, with a minimum requirement of six people per team, said Usen Lam, public relations director for Phi Kappa Tau.

“All of the proceeds go to the camps. We don’t keep anything,” he said.

Lam also stressed the fact that the fraternity would like to see students from all areas of campus get involved, not just Greeks.

“This is a good way for all CSU students to help out,” he said. “It’s a good way to raise money, it’s fun to do and it’s an alternative to another weekend of partying.”

The tournament will take place at the sand volleyball courts on the intramural fields. The event will begin during the day on Friday and Saturday and will continue into the night, with lights surrounding the court. Each team that participates is guaranteed to play three games and at least one of those will be at night, Lam said.

“This is so great,” said Ben Martin, a member of Phi Kappa Tau. “Not only can students stay away from the traditional college weekend of partying, by doing Spike at Night, they can lend a helping hand to kids that are less fortunate than us and have a great time doing it.”

Fraternity members will be advertising on the Lory Student Center Plaza and in the student center throughout the week and teams can register for the tournament in the Office of Greek Life.

Lam also encourages students who do not want to compete to come out and watch. “You don’t have to play or pay to have fun,” he said.

According to the Web site for the camps, www.hitwgcamps.org, fundraisers like Spike at Night are the reason that chronically ill children are able to attend summer camps, where they are surrounded by other kids who are going through the same struggles.

At the camps, “children participate in thoughtful programs and activities that focus on rebuilding the self-esteem frequently shattered as a result of chronic illness,” according to the Web site.