Authors: en Hamner

The contradictions and hypocrisy of this world, particularly our nation, shouldn’t surprise us anymore, but we should at least be annoyed by them.

Let us take our nation’s stance on abortion, for example. As of now, it is perfectly acceptable and legal for any woman to terminate the life of her fetus – it’s “her” choice. However, President Bush and his friends are doing their upmost to push legislation to make it a criminal offence to injure or kill a fetus during a “violent crime,” largely in response to the famous Laci Peterson case.

This makes a tremendous amount of sense to me – it isn’t the mother’s choice to be injured during a violent crime nor to have her unborn offspring maimed or killed. The fetus certainly doesn’t have a choice and the perpetrator of the violent crime should be punished. It would be nice, however, to be consistent. If we are giving natural rights to a fetus to be protected against violent crimes, shouldn’t we give equal rights to protect said fetus against unwilling mothers?

I’m not saying abortion is right or wrong (none of my business, really), but everyone, particularly the judiciary system, should start to question just what natural rights are in our society, who has a right to them (born vs. unborn?) and who has the right to violate them or take them away. Then they should be consistent about it.

How about our fun times in Iraq? This war wasn’t at all motivated by oil, or politics, or some bizarre move to solidify United States’ presence in the Middle East. It certainly wasn’t motivated by money, right? Nevertheless, the aftermath of the war is wonderfully convenient for the rebuilders.

Iraq, barely having “essentials” like electricity, also has virtually no infrastructure for modern telephones, cable, Internet access and cellular/satellite technology. Who will get to capitalize on these opportunities, and who will pay for it? Already, rebuilding contracts are being divided between United States and British interests. It will be very interesting to see what companies sweep in for the kill and how they are related to the governmental powers that be.

A contradiction that I am somewhat pleased with involves the Federal courts rejecting suits by the Recording Industry Association of America and their movie counterparts to shut down Morpheus and Grokster, two file-sharing Internet networks. The courts ruled that the “peer-to-peer” networks have legitimate and illegitimate uses but, being non-centralized, the networks themselves are not in direct infringement of copyright laws.

This fails to explain the downfall of Napster, except that these companies specifically designed their businesses to slip through certain legal loopholes. The good news is that these networks will probably be up for a while. The bad news is that, since the money-grubbing RIAA is now targeting individual users, American music lovers still have to be a little cautious.

Speaking of money-grubbing, there is one woman who is voicing concerns against American “values.” She was quoted as saying, “We as Americans are completely obsessed and wrapped up in a lot of the wrong values — looking good, having cash in the bank, being perceived as rich, famous and successful or just being famous. It’s the most superficial part of the American dream…” She was later quoted as saying, “It’s the most superficial part of the American dream and who would know better than me?

The only thing that’s going to bring you happiness is love and how you treat your fellow man and having compassion for one another.” This woman, of course, is “material girl” Madonna. Wow. Who are we to contradict a statement like that?