Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU softball team knocked seven balls out of the park, more than doubling the previous season total of five, in a two-game sweep of the Utah Utes on Saturday. Earlier in the weekend, the Rams took two from Utah State and lost two to BYU to move to 29-12 overall, and 8-6 in the Mountain West Conference.

Sophomore Steph Roberts nailed three homers against the Utes, two in the first game and one in the second to finish with four hits, five RBIs and four runs scored. Senior Jen Mahoney, junior Ricki Walker, sophomore Brittany Burtner, and freshman Katie Dean each added another dinger.

“It was pretty amazing,” CSU head coach Mary Yori said. “We swung the bats well. We have been hitting the ball well over the past few weeks, but it all came together. Seven home runs in two games has gotta be some kind of record for us.”

Junior pitcher Megan Masser (14-5) kept the Utah bats quiet in the first game, pitching a complete game and only allowing three runs, eight hits and one walk in the 9-3 victory.

Freshman hurlers JayCee Wood (4-0) and Genevieve Kelly (7-3) and Masser combined their efforts in the second game victory. Kelly got the win and the Rams won 11-8.The Rams took all four games from Utah this year.

On Friday, the Rams faced another conference doubleheader with BYU. Steph Roberts homered off of the first pitch and CSU took a 3-1 lead into the fifth inning of the first game.

Then BYU started to hit the ball, and hit it hard. Cougar Cynthia Fallowfield hit a grand slam off of Masser to give BYU the lead and CSU never got it back.

Masser gave up eight runs in 5 1/3 innings and took the loss. Kelly entered the game in relief and gave up another grand slam and BYU won 12-3.

“Our pitchers did not pitch their best. They made a few mistakes and BYU took advantage of them,” Yori said. “BYU is also the top hitting team in our conference and in the top 25 in the country statistically, so they are a really good hitting team.”

The Rams blew another lead in the third inning of the second game when they gave up five runs. Sophomore Melanie Mahoney gave up six runs on eight hits in the losing effort.

With the loss, CSU dropped to third in conference and BYU moved into second behind San Diego State. BYU won the season series 3-1.

On Thursday, CSU swept Utah State 7-2 and 4-0. Kelly pitched her first career complete game and allowed two runs on five hits with three strikeouts. Wood threw a complete-game shutout in the second game, only allowing three hits for the Rams’ 12 shutout of the season.

Sophomore Kerry Ferrell stepped up at the plate for CSU going 4-for-9, with four RBIs, and two runs scored. Walker went 2-for-3 with three RBI in the first game and Roberts scored three runs on the day.

Up next for the Rams is a doubleheader against New Mexico at Ram Field on Wednesday starting at noon.