Will write for food

Authors: David Schneider

For those of you that haven’t noticed, today’s economy sure isn’t what it used to be. So for many of you out there, like me, are trying to find some sort of decent employment.

For some, it’s only a summer job, for others, it’s that coveted career after graduation, and yet still for many more here at CSU, you just need something so you can pay your rent and maybe have enough left over to buy yourself lunch once every two weeks.

Because my landlord doesn’t accept columns as a form of payment, I too have been in the job hunt. During all the time I have spent searching, I have learned a few things about how to get a job.

1. Don’t be too picky about where you work or what you do there.

The job market is currently in the employers favor, because there are so few jobs around and so many people needing jobs. Supposedly this allows for employers to pick and choose those people who are most qualified and best educated. What it actually does is drive down the amount of money they are willing to pay people for higher skilled jobs because there are so many other people willing to take the pay cut because it is better than not getting paid at all.

2. Be persistent.

If employers see that you really are interested in working for them, they will be more willing to consider you for an opening in their company, even if it is just out of pity.

3. It is not what you know; it’s whom you know.

This has never been truer. You can be working somewhere for two or three years, have all the experience, education, respect, motivation and know-how in the world, but unless you have a friend in a high place, you are going to be passed over by those people who go out of their way to “get to know” someone who can further their career. This makes all the difference in the world, or at least so it seems. You can even be considered a candidate to be the next president of a university if all you have is a bachelor’s degree and are buddies with the governor.

So what else can students here at CSU do? There are those ever popular resume workshops where people get paid to tell you how to get a job. Although there are some that are free and once in a while they do even come in handy. There are also job fairs. You know, those big clusters of people all crammed into one room, talking to a representative from a company that neither knows enough about their own business to answer questions nor has the ability to hire you. But don’t worry; they always will make sure that your resume “gets to the right people.”

Another bet is to try to get an internship to get your foot in the door. These are always so much fun. Having a job where you do everyone else’s work and don’t get paid or any recognition for it. The one bright side is that you can get a few credit hours for it at school. So you get to go to school, have an internship and still work somewhere else to pay bills. And to think, financial aid could be cut so you get to pay for you tuition right away too, instead of being able to wait until after you have graduated to start it paying back.

One final resource for CSU students who are in need of one of those job things is to go to the Career Center and see what they can do to assist your frustrating search. If you don’t have a map of campus in front of you, it is located in Ammons Hall, 711 Oval Drive and can be reached at (970) 491-5707. Give it a try and hopefully the friendly folks down there can make it so you don’t have to resort to working at the Collegian.

David is a jounior journalism/political science major and needs a job, so hire him. For a resume send a request to nightdesk1@hotmail.com.