Authors: Jason Graziadei

While the Green and Gold football game is raging this Saturday at Hughes

Stadium, a handful of former Rams will be waiting at home, watching the NFL Draft and hoping to get picked up by a pro team.

Running back Cecil Sapp, who rushed for over 1,600 yards and scored 17 touchdowns last season, has the best chance of moving on to the next level. Sapp attended the NFL Combine, where college players are evaluated by the pro teams, and will watch the draft from his family’s home in Miami.

“It went pretty smooth,” Sapp said of the Combine.”Everything was like a business day. Talking to doctors, just doing what you have to do was just like a business trip. It was no pleasure at all, you just had to be on top of everything.”

According to several Draft Web sites, NFL scouts have been impressed with

Sapp’s inside running ability and leg strength, but say he is less effective running outside.

Also, his injury history may decline his draft status. Sapp sat out the entire 2001 season after having a benign tumor removed and had several injuries earlier in his CSU career.

“I have no idea at all of where I’m going to end up,” Sapp said. “When the time comes, I just gotta be ready for it. And whoever decides to pick me up, Ill be very excited and very happy trying to do some things like I did out here for their team.”

The Jacksonville Jaguars have expressed interest in Sapp as a backup to running back Fred Taylor.

Other Rams who are hoping to get a call this weekend include offensive lineman Morgan Pears, defensive lineman Peter Hogan, punter Joey Huber, H-back Henri Childs, defensive back Rhett Nelson and receiver Joey Cuppari.

Pears, who is listed at 6-foot-8, 310 pounds and was a three-year starter and All-Mountain West selection, will likely be drafted in one of the last rounds of the draft on

Sunday. The other players will likely look to sign a free-agent contract after the draft ends.