Authors: Eric Todd Patton

From the comic genius Christopher Guest, we get another “mockumentary” that explores the farcical nature of the quasi-celebrity.

The death of music legend Irving Steinbloom gives his son, Jonathan (played by Bob Balaban), the idea to reunite all the folk band’s his father helped create in the ’60’s and ’70’s for a concert at the Town Hall.

The first group is The New Main Street Singers. This was a folk group that is a revival of the earlier Main Street Singers. It is a preppy-looking, wholesome and cheery group that is looked down upon by the other groups. They are the sell-outs, like the boy bands of the folk music world.

Mitch and Mickey, Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy, are the deep and mysterious duo, like a Doors version of Sonny and Cher. Suffering from the repercussions of being high throughout the ’60’s and ’70’s, Mitch is slightly off and not fully focused on the reunion that Mickey has agreed to.

Reuniting the original band from “This Is Spinal Tap,” Harry Shearer, Michael McKean and Guest form The Folksmen. This trio must come together after being apart of over a decade and a half to deliver their big hits like “Eat At Joe’s.” This is one of the funniest trios in film.

Once each band has reunited they compete against each other for the limelight at Town Hall in front of a large audience and on live television. With backstabbing, song stealing, nasty rumors and stage fright, they all emerge victorious in one of the funniest movies this year.

The “mockumentary” genre that has been practically invented and mastered by Guest should be one of the mainstream film styles, and yet it is overlooked by the majority of moviegoers. Perhaps you are all too busy watching the formulaic comedies from Adam Sandler or watching trite action films like “XXX” to make it to a good movie.

Regardless, “A Mighty Wind” should not be missed. The cast is something of legends. With most of the same actors that we saw in “Waiting for Guffman” and “Best In Show,” the hilarious Fred Willard, the adorable Parker Posey, the funniest woman in movies, O’Hara, and the witty Michael Hitchcock, there is not one member that does not deliver the funny.

Living in the “movie wasteland,” don’t expect to see it in Fort Collins for a while, and if it does appear, it may blow in and then out so quickly you won’t even notice – so be looking for it.

Why does this not get an A? It does not compare to the last Guest films. The premise left a little something to be desired. So it gets a B+.

Starring: Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Michael McKean, Parker Posey, Fred Willard and Bob Balaban

Directed By and Under The Supervision Of: Christopher Guest

What You Need To Know: Comic brilliance far from the norm.

FINAL GRADE: B+