Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU golf teams are back in action this week. The women’s team is closing out its season with the Mountain West Conference Championships starting Thursday, and the men’s team is defending its title at the BYU Cougar Classic on Saturday.

The women are playing at the Sunriver Resort in Sunriver, Ore., through Friday. They will face BYU, San Diego State, UNLV, Wyoming and first-year head coach Angie Hopkins’ alma mater, the New Mexico Lobos.

The Rams finished middle of the pack in their last tournament and Hopkins had them working on their short game to hopefully shine in their last tournament of the season.

The men’s team will continue on its run to break into the CSU history books, needing two more top-10 finishes to tie for most in a season. The Rams will be playing on the course in Provo, Utah, where last year they shared the crown with Nevada and hosts Brigham Young.

This year, riding on the tails of juniors Martin Laird and Nolan Martin, the team will look to take the title for itself. In his last tournament, Laird finished sixth (-3) and helped the team snag a ninth place finish.

Martin has finished out of the top 20 only three times this season and both he and Laird are on pace to beat the CSU shots-per-round average, which currently stands at 72.6.

This will be the Rams’ last tournament before the men’s Mountain West Championships which will take place May 1-3 on the same course the women are playing on.