Lacrosse beats Buffs again

Authors: Joelle Milholm

The No. 2-ranked CSU club lacrosse team chalked up another victory on Saturday, beating No. 6 Colorado 7-5 for its second Buff beating of the year.

With the win, the Rams earned the No. 1 seed for the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Lacrosse League Championship this weekend.

“This was a very important game since it determined the rankings and seeding for the RMILL playoffs next weekend,” head coach Flip Naumburg said. “CU is always good competition and it is an intense rivalry.”

The Rams started the game off with a bang, pounding four balls into the back of the CU net. Buffalo slashing penalties gave CSU the upper hand, and allowed Jared Katz to score twice, while Jimmy Hasson and Derek Koll each added another score. Colorado capitalized on an illegal body-checking penalty by CSU and made the score 4-1 after the first quarter.

As the snow/rain showers became more pervasive, goals became harder to come by for both teams. The second and third periods were slow, but Koll added another point for CSU, and CU added two more goals to take the score to 5-3 going into the fourth quarter.

Then CU’s Dave Trace had two unassisted goals and tied the game at five. CSU took advantage of more Buffalo penalties and Kelten Johnson put the Rams back on top with the game-winning goal.

Jimmy Hasson sealed the victory with a rebound goal off of a shot from Matt Johns to make the finals score 7-5.

“Once again our defense showed they’re one of the top in the nation and played strong. We held on tough in the second half and were able to come up with a big win,” CSU goalie Alex Smith said.

The Buffs out-shot the Rams 37-27, but Smith saved the game by making 19 saves. CU’s goalie, Chris Bluse, made 11 saves.

“In a way the game was a bit of a ‘Battle of the RMILL goalies.’ Both our Alex Smith and their Chris Bluse were exchanging stellar, or even spectacular, saves,” Naumburg said. “Both are fun to watch when they come out of the goal and play the game with everyone else.”

CSU ends its season with an 11-2 record, while CU dropped to 11-5. The RMILL playoffs will start Friday and go through Saturday in Lafayette, Colo.

Rams lose to Fort Collins Men’s Club

The CSU rugby game against the Fort Collins Men’s Club all came down to one detail: conversion kicks. The Men’s club made one more than the Rams and edged out CSU 19-17.

Fort Collins pounded the try line in the second half and finally touched the ball down for a score. After the conversion kick was made, Fort Collins took a 19-12 lead over the Rams. A CSU breakaway pulled the Rams with in two points, but a failed conversion kick cost the Rams the game. CSU’s record now stands at 2-4.

With a weather-plagued season, CSU was happy to get one more game in before the team’s California tour.

“This season has been a bit frustrating, what with the weather and the states of the IM fields, but we’ve come through in one piece and everyone is looking forward to the sunny skies in Santa Barbara,” senior president Kyle Fenton said.

The Rams will head to California to play Loyola Marymount in Los Angeles on Thursday before going to an annual tournament hosted by the University of California at Santa Barbara. CSU will play five games in two days.

“Last year we finished second to Humboldt State,” Fenton said. “This year it’s championship or bust.”

Women’s water polo takes 6th

The women’s water polo A team took sixth at the Southwest Conference Championships, and the CSU B side was not far behind, taking seventh.

The A team lost its first match to the University of Arizona and landed a match with the B team. The A side won, leading them to play Northern Arizona. The team lost and took sixth place overall.

The B team had to play Utah after losing to CSU A and came out with another tough loss. The Rams then beat the Colorado School of Mines to take seventh. Colorado won the championship.