Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

Over 500 local authors will be at the CSU Bookstore Saturday.

The seventh annual Poudre Valley Author Day invites authors from around Fort Collins and surrounding communities to chat with fans and enjoy a free continental breakfast this Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon.

“It’s a great opportunity to meet them,” said Susan Stuessie, general book manager for the CSU Bookstore. “They’re just neat, neat people and we’re very fortunate to have them in our community.”

Among the 548 attending authors, 318 are alumni, students or faculty from CSU.

Gerald Callahan, author and professor from the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at CSU, said CSU is a valuable resource for many authors to use.

“Being near the university provides many benefits,” Callahan said “Not only the library, but also the English department.”

Stuessie is always surprised at the number and variety of authors within the Fort Collins Community.

“People should come and be in awe of what they see,” Stuessie said. “I can’t imagine anywhere in the country where there’s another community like Fort Collins with so many authors.”

Leslee Becker, author and English professor at CSU, said she is always in awe when she meets fellow authors.

“It’s not quite like meeting a rock star,” Becker said. “I’ve met authors and told them I like their books and use them in my classes and they’re always so modest.”

She is thrilled that the CSU Bookstore remains dedicated to supporting local authors.

“I’m in support of a bookstore that continues to carry books by local authors,” Becker said. “I go to the event because I like to see who’s there.”

Stuessie said supporting local authors is a major goal for the CSU Bookstore.

“I don’t think there’s a section in our general book section that we don’t have a local author represented,” Stuessie said. “We just try to keep supporting local authors.”

Each author at the event will have his or her book available for sale. The subject matter ranges anywhere from science fiction to romance to history textbooks, Stuessie said.

Students at CSU are excited about the event.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for aspiring authors,” said Dominick Giacomazzi, junior English major.

Kate Harwood, sophomore creative writing student, thinks it is a neat event for not only author hopefuls, but also people just interested in literature.

“This is an excellent event for authors and non-authors,” Harwood said. “It would really be a big inspiration for me.”

She hopes to get some tips for her writing at the event.

“I want to be a teacher and write books about my crazy family,” Harwood said. “You can get a lot from one one-on-one conversation with a real author.”