Authors: Jodi Friedman

The Walton Family Foundation has donated $2.5 million to CSU equine programs.

The money will be used to support equine reproduction and orthopedic research. Students can look forward to expanded facilities and additional scientists for the research programs.

About $1 million of the gift will go toward building a new teaching facility at the University Equine Reproductive Center. It will include overnight services that will enable students and caretakers to provide around-the-clock care and security for the horses. New laboratories will also be built in existing buildings.

“This generous gift allows us to augment the care we currently give horses in the reproductive program while providing better facilities for our students to study equine reproduction,” said Ed Squires, a professor in the Department of Biomedical Sciences.

Half a million dollars will be used to construct a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) space for the Equine Orthopedic Research Laboratory. That is where images of human joints are produced. Once it is built, it will establish the first equine MRI center in the world. The remainder of the donation will support and expand key services in each program.

Squires said the students are quite excited about the additions.

“These changes will benefit undergrad, graduate and veterinary students,” Squires said.

Alice Walton made the donation because she was impressed by the program and decided to help. She is active in breeding and raising in the Cutting Horse business in Texas.

“She is avid about horses and wants the best for them,” said Paul Maffey, the director of development for the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Science. “Alice made the decision of how the money would be distributed.”

Maffey said the Walton Family Foundation has ties throughout the country and it supports multiple causes. The equine and orthopedic departments put together a proposal that outlined its needs and it was accepted.

“It is a wonderful gift and very gratifying to have the Walton Family Foundation, as well as Alice Walton, involved with Colorado State,” Maffey said. “We have such a world-renowned program.”