Authors: Joshua Pilkington

Records are made to be broken and today could mark the end of a few.

In CSU’s track and field record book, several records have been established and re-established, but none have gone unchallenged longer than Elliot Drumright’s 1979 steeplechase record of 8:49.70 and Ed Cordova’s 1987 10,000-meter record of 29:03.13. That, however, could change.

A small group of athletes left for Walnut, Calif., Wednesday to compete in the Mt. San Antonio College Relays, where they will look to run, throw and sprint to some personal-best marks while taking down a school record or two in the process.

“I’m looking to break the school record at Mt. SAC,” said sophomore Mike Nicks, who ran the second-best time in school history (8:57.06) at the Sun Angel Classic in Arizona on Saturday. “I felt good with my race last weekend, but in a faster setting I know I can run a lot better.”

Joining Nicks in his pursuit of Drumright’s steeplechase record is junior Raegan Robb, whose 9:02.70 in Arizona puts him fifth all-time at CSU in the event.

“We came out in a pack and things started pretty slow,” Robb said of the race in Arizona. “At the end it was basically just Mike and me. In a faster race we should be able to run a lot faster.”

And competition is something that is never lacking at Mt. SAC. In fact, head coach Del Hessel said it might be one of the most competitive distance fields outside of the NCAA Championships.

Also taking to the track for the Rams is junior Dylan Olchin, who ran a 29:24.70 in his first 10,000-meter race of the season in Palo Alto, Calif., March 31.

“Dylan was put in a slow heat (in Palo Alto) and that cost him,” Hessel said. “He really showed a lot of perseverance and heart leading that race for about 16 laps. He won’t have to do that at Mt. SAC.”

With the nation’s best running alongside him, Olchin said he feels he is capable of trimming 21 seconds from his time to eclipse Cordova’s mark.

Another pair of Rams looking to make an impact are seniors Kim Leal and Jen Kintzley, both of whom hope to run personal-best times in the women’s 10,000.

Having only competed in one race so far this season, Leal said she and Kintzley are ready to tackle the challenge of difficult competition.

“My last race went real well as far as running with tempo and control,” Leal said, who last competed at the Tom Benich Classic in Greeley April 6. “I did what I set out to do there and it helps taking that performance to Mt. SAC.”

Also competing for the Rams at Mt. SAC are juniors Bill Michel, Austin Vigil and Colleen Blair in the men’s and women’s 5,000, respectively; senior Paul DiGrappa and sophomore Josh Glaab in the men’s 10,000; senior Megan Larson in the women’s steeplechase; and junior John Woods and senior Chris Riggs in the men’s 100 and 200.

Meanwhile, seniors Drew Loftin and Brian Trainor expect to compete in the men’s throwing events, while senior Hannah Metzler and junior Keela Niemeyer will compete in the women’s throwing events.

Ram Invitational

Even with terrible conditions expected, Saturday’s Ram Invitational is still on, said assistant coach John Carter.

“We won’t know for sure until Saturday at 6 a.m.,” he said. “But for now, it is on.”

Events begin at 10 a.m. with the women’s shot put. Track events commence at 11:45 a.m., with the women’s 5,000-meter run.