Authors: Christopher Ortiz

“Love and War” is a play about the occupation of Spain in Italy in the 1500s. It is a play that raises questions about war, invasion, protest and the army.

The play tells the story of forbidden love between a Spanish lieutenant and the daughter of the mayor of Venice but it also infuses headlines from newspapers about the U.S. occupation of Iraq.

The play is written in the style of Commedia dell’ Arte, a form of comic drama that uses improvisation and stock characters to satirize society.

In a time when movie companies and record labels have been too shy to comment on the war (Warner Bros. recently changed their campaign ad of the movie ‘What a Girl Wants’ which featured actress Amanda Bynes sporting a peace sign, the company has also run into conflicts with its artist, Madonna, about her current music video that involves anti-war comments), it’s refreshing to see a production that is not afraid to comment on the current conflict.

President Bush, Vice President Cheney and Department of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge could have easily been ad-libbed for the characters in the play.

The play is being put on under the direction of the San Francisco Mime Troupe. “Love” was written in1967 based on a late Italian Renaissance comedy. The play was originally written to condemn the war in Vietnam. After it was performed off-Broadway, it went on to win critical acclaim.

Since 1967, the play has been revised to reflect current world issues and to make satire of war.

Guest Director Dan Chumley is a founding member of Mime Troupe. He has done workshops on a variety of topics.

“Satire takes the grit of society and makes it into a pearl,” said Chumley commenting on the play. “This is a serious comedy which is done to make people think. The purpose of satire is to open up people’s heart and minds.”

“Love and War” runs April 16 to 29 and April 24 to 26 at 8 p.m. at the Johnson Hall Mainstage. Tickets are $5 for full-fee paying students, $9 for CSU employees, seniors and children and $12 for all others. For tickets call Johnson Hall Box Office at 491-5116 or 491-5562.