Authors: Luke Cornish

By

Severe weather caused Tuesday’s CSU tennis team’s match against the No. 62-ranked University of Denver to be played without the doubles point. Unfortunately for the Rams, even without the doubles point, the Pioneers were able to claim a 4-2 victory.

Another disappointment came at the No. 1 singles spot, where senior Sanja Hansson lost to DU’s Yanick Dullens, 6-4, 6-3. A victory would have given Hansson a tie for most singles career wins at CSU with 75.

Hansson is chasing the record set by former teammate Allison Lisle, who played from 1997 to 2001. Lisle won most of her matches playing at Nos. 3 and 4, but Hansson has won most of hers at the No. 1 position, including 24 of 31 this year.

And it was all news to Hansson.

“I didn’t even know about the record until I read about it today,” Hansson said. “Really, I had no clue.”

Not that it would have made much of a difference, as the 25-mph winds made the ball erratic and the win went to the player who could play the conditions with the most smarts. Dullens continued to lay a drop shot that just stopped in its tracks and managed to frustrate the CSU star.

“I knew it was going to be a tough match against her,” Hansson said. “I’ve played her before and knew how good she is.”

The uncharacteristic loss at No. 1 was followed by an uncharacteristic loss at the No. 2 slot. Sophomore Dasha Zhurin succumbed to the Pioneers’ Suzana Maksovic (6-4, 6-4).

“I told our players anytime a team beats us at the No. 1 and 2 spot, you know they’re a good team,” head coach Jon Messick said. “We knew Denver was going to be tough; we knew it was going to be a dog fight.”

The victories for the Rams came at the lower end of the line up. At the No. 5 spot, freshman Jessica Jones came from behind to oust Stephanie Ginsburg in straight sets (6-2, 7-6).

“I’m really happy with how I played, I think it was a good match and that we both played well,” Jones said. “I was down 5-2 in the second set, so I picked up my game a little bit. I really didn’t want to play a third set.”

The other victory came at the No. 6 position with sophomore Tatyana Ugorich besting DU’s Maru Altamirano, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8). With the overall match already decided, Ugorich had all her teammates cheering her on in wind and light rain. CSU had already lost, but Ugorich battled to the end despite seeming to be bothered by a sore hamstring.

The match was the Rams’ fourth in five days and could well have been too much for the young team. They will now get a week off before leaving for San Diego, Calif., on Monday to take part in the Mountain West Conference Championships starting April 24.

There the Rams will face Brigham Young in the first round and Hansson will have possibly her last chance at winning a share of the most career wins record. Hansson defeated BYU’s Leeza Klempner when the two teams met Saturday.