Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

Spring Housing Expo offers students a second chance

By Adrienne Hoenig

Students without a home will get another chance today.

As a follow-up to the Housing Fair, Off-Campus Student Services is hosting a Spring Housing Expo today from 10 a.m to 4 p.m. in the Lory Student Center East Ballroom.

“I think there are many students out there still looking for housing,” said Jeannie Ortega, director of Off-Campus Student Services/Resources for Adult Learners. “The purpose is to give students another opportunity.”

She hopes it will help students feel more secure heading into the fall semester.

“It would be nice to be able to walk away from spring semester and have housing taken care of,” Ortega said.

Breanna Gent, manager for Cambridge Apartments and Vantage Properties, said students occupy 99.9 percent of the housing she has available. She thinks the Housing Expo is a great way for students to search for the best deals.

“It’ll be easier for them to get all the pricing information at the expo than to go around to all the apartments,” Gent said.

Some students are glad to get another chance to look at housing options.

“I was a slacker last time the fair came around,” said Jon Steege, sophomore physics student. “This second chance might afford me a cheap place to live.”

Bree Rydlun, graduate assistant for OCSSRAL, hopes Steege is right.

“It’s kind of a second chance for them to have the benefit of sort of a mini-housing fair,” Rydlun said. “We know there are people still looking.”