Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

Four construction management students from CSU won top honors and $1,000 at a competition in San Diego, Calif., last month.

Students from 15 universities across the nation competed at the national Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. convention on March 15. Each team, consisting of four students, competed in three areas and one overall award was given.

CSU’s team consisted of seniors Karl McKee, Colton Hoge and Matt Melssen, and junior John Donakowski.

Donakowski said the team came together just six weeks before the competition to practice their strategies.

“During those six weeks we met two or three times a week reviewing and organizing our plan of attack,” Donakowski said. “Before the competition we did a mock run through.”

In a statement to the local ABC chapter McKee said while the competition itself was hard, the experience was worth it.

“While the competition was a little nerve-wracking, it was a good opportunity to test your skills against those of the nations best,” McKee said. “It was fun hanging out with students from other schools and finding out what their CM programs are all about and an awesome opportunity to meet other construction professionals.”

CSU placed third in the project management and safety categories and won first place in estimating. The team also won the $1,000 overall award for the highest total points.

The only junior on the team said he plans on being a part of future competitions.

“I anticipate competing in Reno,” Donakowski said. “I’m grateful for all the support we got.”

Ron White, the team’s coach and a 1982 graduate of the program, said he was pleased with the result of the team.

“I personally congratulate all four of these fine young men and will provide a each of them a generous referral in their future career search,” White said.