Authors: Reed Saunders

In a finish that seemed fashioned from a Tinseltown script, the CSU women’s club lacrosse team did something it hadn’t done in three years: beat Colorado.

Senior Allison Reinert scored the decisive goal with 10 seconds left in overtime to give CSU a 9-8 win Sunday in Boulder, the Rams’ first win over their in-state rivals since 2000.

Reinert, one of two Ram seniors, was one of four CSU players with two goals on the day. Kate Sebesta, Elise Zimmerman and Jen Gunlicson all scored twice, while Sara Duke contributed one goal.

Trailing 4-2 at halftime, things didn’t look good for the Rams as the second half went on. After scoring a quick goal to cut their deficit to 4-3, the Buffaloes scored three rapid unanswered goals to go up 7-3.

The Buffs would hold that lead for most of the second half until five minutes to go, when the Rams responded with three unanswered goals of their own to cut CU’s lead to 7-6.

Then came the drama. Sebesta, one of several Ram freshmen, converted on a penalty shot with two seconds left to tie the score at seven and send the game into overtime.

After a quick Ram goal in the first half of overtime, CU scored in the second half to tie the score at eight before Reinert put home the game winner.

The win concluded a successful weekend for the Rams in Boulder. CSU went 4-0 with wins over BYU and Weber State on Saturday, followed by the win over CU and a victory over the CU junior varsity squad Sunday afternoon.

The Rams will be back in action this Friday when they host Air Force at 5:30 p.m. at CSU.