Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU women’s golf coach summed it up a few simple words.

“We were wanting to do better,” head coach Angie Hopkins said of her team’s 13th place finish at the BYU Dixie Classic.

The field consisted of 23 teams that competed Monday and Tuesday on the par-72, 5,882-yard Sunbrook Golf Course in St. George, Utah. Top honors went to Mountain West Conference rivals UNLV.

The Rams were led by sophomore Lynette Duran, who had rounds of 77, 75 and 79 to finish tied for 24th place and 15-over par.

“It was good to see how well Duran played,” Hopkins said. “She’s starting to play good consistent golf.”

As a team, CSU had rounds of 316, 307 and 315 for a grand total of 938, and just four strokes away from a top-10 finish. This is the third time this season the Rams have finished without placing in the top 10 in the field.

“Our scores really don’t reflect how well our girls played,” Hopkins said. “Right now we’re not playing as well as we would like.”

Mayumi Motoyama, the Rams’ lone senior and starter for all four years of her career, had rounds of 79, 78 and 76 to shoot 233 in the 54-hole tournament. That was enough to earn her a tie for 31st place.

Sophomore Trisha Quick had rounds of 81, 77 and 79 to finish the tournament with a total score of 237 in a tie for 46th place. Junior Dawna Virdell finished tied for 66th place with a score of 242, and not far behind her came junior Stephanie Linnell, who had a score of 245 for a share of 75th place.

The Rams will not play again until the conference championships April 24-26.

“We’re going to continue working on our short game and continue working hard for the next couple of weeks, and hopefully have a good outing in the championship tournament,” Hopkins said.