Authors: Amy Resseguie

For students spending their summer in town, a new concert series will attempt to put some of the fun back into the Fort, on any given Tuesday.

The Tuesday Nite Out Series will feature young, local musicians alongside outdoor adventure films in local parks.

“I want to enliven the grassroots music scene in Fort Collins so that other students can bring a lawn chair and listen to good, free music,” said series creator Marissa Weiss.

Weiss, a graduate student in student affairs in higher education, took on this project as her practicum, and is joining departments at the city of Fort Collins and CSU to develop fun activities for the entire community to enjoy throughout the summer.

“I keep hearing that there’s not a lot going on for young people to do in the summer,” said Cree Bol, community liaison for Off-Campus Student Services, and the city of Fort Collins. “Our goal is to get the city and university to work together and improve relationships between students and residents. We’re trying to make the whole community a more fun place to live.”

The outdoor concerts will feature local bands, many of which are student groups, who otherwise would not get much exposure, Weiss said. The concerts either have two bands paired by genre, or one band and an outdoor adventure film.

The films, provided by the Outdoor Adventure Program, “highlight all kinds of adventure sports, including kayaking, biking and skateboarding,” Bol said.

One of the bands that will be performing in early September, the norads, is a group of three CSU students, who describe themselves as “punk for posers,” said Arvind Karwan, who performs bass and vocals for the group.

“We’re excited to be opening for Mimic, which is a really good punk band,” he said. “We’re also excited about the exposure we’re getting. School will be in session for our concert, and it will be a great activity for students.”

All of the performers in the series are assisting Weiss and Bol in garnering support and sponsorships from local businesses, and in creating advertising for the concerts. “Because she [Weiss] is giving us the opportunity to play, we’re helping by getting sponsors,” Karwan said. “We want to be nice to her, because she’s been so nice to us.”

Weiss’ vision for the summer is to see the entire Fort Collins community come together for some free fun; to bring a Frisbee and enjoy a relaxing evening surrounded by new music and movies.

“I really think that music and sports are the best activities, because you either play or watch at least one of them,” she said.

Box:

6/17 6-9 p.m. Tuku and Patchwork Blue Troutman Park

7/1 7-9 p.m. The Coloring Book and Outdoor Adventure Film Avery Park

7/15 6-9 p.m. Thurman’s Ashes and Unbranded Rogers Park

7/22 6-9 p.m. Latino perfomers Buckingham Park

8/12 7-9 p.m. Rusty Bucket and Outdoor Adventure Film Library Park

8/26 6-9 p.m. Blues is Blood and This For Now City Park

9/9 6-9 p.m. the norads, Mimic and Outdoor Adventure Film Spring Creek Park