Authors: David Schneider

Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s speech entitled “Global Citizenship: What does it mean and why does it matter?” carried an outcry for peace and illustrated just how neccessasary interdependence is in attaining a peaceful life.

Tuesday night he spoke to a sold out 5,900 audience at Moby Arena as a part of CSU and the University of Denver’s continuing “Bridges to the Future: American Values in Light of September 11” program.

“My humanity is wrapped up in your humanity. When you are dehumanized, whether I like it or not, I too am dehumanized,” Tutu said.

He also highlighted the importance of the global community working together in harmony and good will.

“We were meant to live in a network of interdependence,” Tutu said. “You make up what is lacking in my constitution, my being.”

Narrowing his focus toward war, Tutu said that the road to peace is not one that can be taken through the use of force.

“Talking is better than fighting,” Tutu said.

Using his home country of South Africa and its past history of conflict and apartheid, Tutu said, “If (peace) can happen in South Africa, it can happen anywhere.”

Tutu said that even such rivals as the Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland and U.S. President Bush and Iraqi President Saddam Hussein could resolve their disputes peacefully instead of resorting to violence.

“An enemy is a friend waiting to admit it,” he said.

He also suggested that there are better ways to stop terrorism.

“You can’t do it all by yourselves. We are made for interdependence,” Tutu said. “Anything war can do, peace can do better.”

Concluding Tutu’s speech, CSU President Albert Yates thanked him for being a part of the Bridges to the Future program and described Tutu’s message as “powerful.”

Associated Students of CSU President Dave Bower asked Tutu what lessons he thought we learned from Sept. 11, 2001.

“That we are radically vulnerable. Sometimes we are given the illusion of invincibility. Only God is invincible ultimately,” Tutu said.

The former Nobel Peace Prize winner impressed some students who attended Tutu’s speech.

“I was impressed. I didn’t know enough about who he was or what his situation was until this evening. He blew me away. He was the best speaker I’ve seen up here in years,” said Dave Penny, a junior liberal arts major.

A number of students agreed with Tutu’s message he delivered.

“It was very powerful and I thought he did a good job in showing how we are all human beings and should be united together,” said Jodi Roth, a junior sociology major.

The next scheduled Bridges to the Future event is James Carville and Mary Matlin, s peaking at CSU on May 6, 2003.

Outbox: Archbishop Desmund Tutu’s speech can be viewed on the Internet at www.newsinfo.colostate.edu from 8 a.m. to midnight on Saturday April 18.