Authors: J.J. Babb

As Smokey and Bandit, 9-month-old Holstein calves, quietly munched on hay, they did not seem to notice the events surrounding them at the annual CSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital Open House.

The open house, which took place Friday and Saturday at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, 300 W. Drake Road, offered free tours, including a tour of the new Argus wing, lectures and interactive demonstrations to the community.

“I think it’s important (for people to come) because it’s a huge center of veterinary medicine and (because of) the new cancer wing,” open house co-chair Ginny Gill, said. “It’s great for people to see what goes on at CSU and the vet school.”

The Argus wing houses the Robert H. and Mary G. Glint Animal Cancer Center, which is now the largest animal cancer center in the world, offering both veterinary cancer patient care and advanced cancer research. The wing was opened on Nov. 6, 2002.

The open house hosted about 2,000 visitors from the community, including many children.

“We’ve got some good compliments and certainly the kids seemed to enjoy it,” said Pam Mouser, a sophomore veterinary student.

“It was really fun and all the people were really nice and helpful,” 12-year-old Jon Mai said. “You asked a question and they’ll tell you all about it. It was really cool.”

During the open house community members were able to take part in lectures, including “Small Animal First Aid,” “Your Role in Bioterrorism” and “Cancer and Your Pet.”

The organizers of the open house hoped to enlighten community members on animal safety and the resources available to them at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

“I think people don’t know exactly what goes on here and what their animals are undergoing when (the people) are not here,” Mouser said.

Visitors were also able to visit a petting zoo, take part in mock surgery, visit the Stump-a-Vet booth, meet two search and rescue dogs who helped in the World Trade Center attack on Sept. 11, 2001, and view and touch animal body parts.

“Seeing the parts (was the best part). You don’t normally get to see them,” said 12-year-old Drew Zilavy.