Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU men’s golf team continues in its quest to break records this season. Over the weekend the Rams finished ninth, another top-10 finish – making it 10 in a row – at the Border Olympics in Laredo, Texas.

With two more top-10 finishes in the final three tournaments, the team will tie for most top-10 finishes in a season.

Much of the thanks can go to junior Martin Laird, who has found his form and is seemingly unstoppable on the links. Laird finished in a tie for sixth place after shooting 76, 66 and 72 to leave him at three-under par after the 54 holes.

“He just keeps playing really solid golf for us,” CSU head coach Jamie Bermel said. “It seems like he always gets a low score for us, which really helps out the team.”

Laird’s second round of 66 matched the second lowest round that anyone managed at the 7,125-yard, par 72, Laredo Country Club. Laird is still on track to break the school record for the lowest strokes per round, which is currently at 72.6.

Coming in at second place for the Rams was junior Brett Tobyne, who shot three rounds of 73 to give him a grand total of 219 (+3) and a tie for 28th place. Coming into the clubhouse just two strokes behind him, and in a tie for 45th place was junior Nolan Martin.

Also teeing-up for the Rams were sophomore John Hayes and senior Tommy Sharp who finished 65th and 81st, respectively. The sophomore hit rounds of 75, 74 and 76 to put him at nine-over par for the tournament. Sharp hit rounds of 74, 76 and 79 to end with a plus-13 total.

Although the Rams are content with their ninth place finish, they fell from the sixth place spot they were sitting at after the first day of play. To add salt to the wound, Mountain West Conference rivals Brigham Young (seventh place) and San Diego State (third) ended up ahead of the Rams.

“I think our finish was average,” Bermel said. “I had hoped that we would play well on that last day and maybe get a top-five finish but that didn’t happen.”

Texas A&M, the host team, won the tournament with a team total of 859 (-5) and beat Arkansas, which finished with the same score, in a playoff.

On April 25, the Rams will travel to Provo, Utah, to take part in the BYU Cougar Classic. CSU won the tournament last year and Bermel is looking for another successful outing.

“I’m hopeful that we can put together four good scores at BYU,” Bermel said. “We’re reigning champs and I think we can do it again.”