Authors: Linda Lechler

More than 900 students got together Saturday to participate in the largest single-day community service project at CSU.

CSUnity, whose name comes from CSU and community, began Saturday morning and lasted until the afternoon, where volunteers gathered for free food, door prizes, a live band and a slide show of their efforts.

CSUnity works with over 50 agencies that request volunteers to do various tasks. Tasks that volunteers did included maintenance, yard work, programming for children and older adults, and improvement of facilities for animals.

Agencies that participated in this year’s events were the Center for Neurorehab, Rocky Mountain Raptor Program, Turning Point, the Food Bank for Larimer County and the Larimer Humane Society.

Mary Hallauer, the co-coordinator for this year’s event, said it was a great opportunity for all students. “Through service I’ve learned so much about myself and I just want to share the experience with everyone,” Hallauer said.

Other volunteers had different reasons for attending Saturday’s event.

“I’ve been doing volunteer work since I was 5,” said Holly Kunisch, a senior business management major. “I live for it.”

Some students just wanted to become a bigger part of CSU.

“(I participated) to get more involved,” said Hali Miller, a freshman majoring in equine science. “I just want to help out.”