Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

CSU’s search for the position of vice provost for agriculture and outreach and dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences has been narrowed to four final candidates.

The search began in early fall 2002. Executive recruiting company Korn/Ferry International aided in the pursuit.

“We’ve been very pleased with the number and caliber of individuals who have expressed interest in this position,” said Lance Perryman, chairman of the search committee and dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Open forum interviews will be held with each of the four final candidates. Marc Johnson, current dean of the College of Agriculture at Kansas State University, and Sharron Quisenberry, current dean of the College of Agriculture at Montana State University, were interviewed publicly Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

James Heird, current interim dean of the College of Agricultural Science and vice provost for agricultural and outreach at CSU, and Daniel Bernardo, current chair for the Department of Agricultural Economics at Kansas State University, will be interviewed next week. Both interviews will be open to the public.

During his interview, Johnson stressed the importance of providing students with international ties.

“It’s very important to bring an international experience here for our students so they will be able to operate in the international market that we deal with,” Johnson said. “We need to build international experience as a core mission.”

Quisenberry highlighted the need for students to be the central focus at CSU.

“The legacy of a university are its students and if you fail to do the job in educating, then you’ve failed,” Quisenberry said. “Students will come here if they know there is a high-quality program. It’s a win-win situation.”

Both Johnson and Quisenberry spoke of maintaining CSU’s land-grant mission. As a land-grant university, CSU is designed to address the needs of Colorado and the United States as a whole through academic programs and opportunities.

“Land-grant means something,” Quisenberry said. “We have more opportunities and more possibilities for looking at natural resources and agriculture and revitalizing it.”

Perryman said the final decision should be tough.

“This is a critical leadership position at CSU,” Perryman said. “I think all four of these (candidates) are exceedingly well-qualified people.”

Maybe a little calendar if we have room:

Remaining two public forum interviews:

James Heird – Monday, April 7 4:15-5:00 p.m. Room 102 Shepardson

Daniel Bernardo – Wednesday, April 9 4:15-5:00 p.m. Room 207 Lory Student Center