Authors: Luke Cornish

Heckling opponents during a game isn’t good tennis ethics, but someone failed to tell that to the players on the Colorado Buffaloes tennis team.

The Rams had to put up with the Buffs’ verbal abuse on top of losing to their fierce rivals 5-2 and moving to 4-6 on the season.

“It’s a really big rivalry now,” CSU senior Sanja Hansson said.

Hansson won her singles match defeating CU’s Dominique Lemperle 6-4, 6-1. Lemperle will likely lose her No. 113 ranking as a result.

The other victory for CSU came at the No. 2 position where sophomore Dasha Zhurin took down CU’s Lia Dimingo 6-4, 6-2.

Although the two CSU players were able to conquer their antagonists individually, they failed to win when the same four met in doubles competition. It was a close game with the Buffs coming out on top by a score of 9-7, even though Hansson and Zhurin started off the match by winning the first four games.

“The doubles play was sloppy for both teams,” coach Jon Messick said. “We didn’t play well and they didn’t play well; if we had just played a little bit better we would have won.”

The coach’s sentiments also went for the No. 2 doubles team of sophomore Tatyana Ugorich and freshman Carla Pallares. The two were bested by a score of 8-6 and also had the opportunity to take the match.

“I can’t really put my finger on what’s wrong,” Messick said. “We weren’t really making that many unforced errors, we just weren’t aggressive and attacking enough.”

For the rest of the singles matches, CU managed to dominate the CSU team. The only ray of light came at the No. 6 position, where freshman Jessica Jones battled the Buffs’ Morgan Sall. Jones ultimately fell, though, 7-5 in a third set.

“At singles at 3, 4, and 5 we just didn’t play well,” Messick said. “Colorado’s court conduct might have affected their play. You just don’t normally see that kind of thing. There are some teams that have a reputation for that kind of behavior, but Colorado doesn’t.”

The Rams will put the Boulder fiasco in the back of their minds as they prepare to host their first match of the season. They take on the New Mexico State Aggies at 1 p.m. Friday at the Miramont Sports Center.

The Rams last played and beat the Aggies two years ago in Fort Collins. This year, CSU is hoping it will snap its season-high three-game losing streak.

“They are always a tough team to play but I’m feeling pretty good about our chances,” Messick said. “They’re strong at the 1 and 2 spots, which is where we’re best at too. So it should be a good match.”

After hosting New Mexico State, the Rams will continue with Mountain West Conference play, traveling to Colorado Springs to take on Air Force on Saturday and New Mexico on Sunday.