Authors: Jana Gurkin

A new Web site has been created that offers information about the war on terrorism and photos and profiles of the war effort.

The Defend America Web site, created by the U.S. Department of Defense, is a Web site geared towards all who are interested in the war.

The Web site offers “the latest news, photographs, transcripts and other information about the U.S.-led global effort against terrorism,” according to a news release. The site was launched prior to the start of Operation Enduring Freedom, the American mission to remove the Taliban from power in Afghanistan last October. The goal of the site was to inform the public, both in the United States and abroad, of what the United States was doing to combat global terrorism, according to Victoria Clarke, the assistant secretary of defense for public affairs.

“Our goal is to help the public understand and appreciate how dedicated and committed our men and women in uniform really are,” Clarke said in a news release.

The Web site has only been available for the past seven months, but already has readers in more than 70 countries, according to a news release.

The Web site is updated with new information daily, and has coverage of every Pentagon briefing by Donald H. Rumsfeld and other military officials. It also reports on all branches, both active duty and reserve, of the military, including the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Air force, according to a news release.

“The Web site sounds like it would have really accurate information on the war since it’s done by the Department of Defense. It’s good to have a reliable source out there, since there are so many sources covering the war, and not all of them seem credible for their information,” said Jessica Kanas, a marketing major.

Another of the Web site’s features is “America’s Thank You Note,” which offers people from all over the chance to add their name to the growing list of millions who are thanking U.S. Service Members via a virtual thank-you note.

“I support our troops because they’re defending our country, but I don’t think we should end lives in order to solve problems. It’s not humane,” said Jen Just, a social work major.

The Web site also includes links to many other sites containing information about the war. Some of these include links to the American Red Cross, places to give blood or donate a calling card so service members can keep in touch with their families, and a listing of military relief societies that are accepting donations.

“If it has anything to do with the war, we’re interested,” said Defend America’s editor, David Jackson. Estimated to be the most popular feature of the site is Defend America’s Photo Gallery Archive, which has photo essays by military photographers, which covers the progress of the war beginning with the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to the current campaign to help rebuild Afghanistan, according to a news release.

To sign America’s Thank You Note, or to visit any of the other components of Defend America’s website, go to DefendAmerica.mil or DefendAmerica.gov.