CSU Trap and Skeet team

Authors: J.J. Babb

Although guns are not to be played with, they can be used in sports, which is what the CSU trap and skeet team does.

The club, which has existed for 26 years, has grown from eight members in 2000 to the current 40 members.

Matt Dunscomb, a senior construction management major, has headed the trap and skeet team for the past two years.

“It’s one of the older clubs,” Dunscomb said. “It’s been around for quite a while.”

Members of the team practice three to four times a week, Dunscomb said, with the varsity team practicing more often.

The CSU team competes in trap, skeet, sporting clays and international trap and skeet tournaments throughout the semester. This semester the team will participate in five intercollegiate tournaments and approximately 20 individual-registered shoots.

The sports of trap and skeet entail shooting clay pigeons from different angles and locations. Sporting clays involves shooting clay pigeons in a more natural hunting setting.

For Dunscomb the international trap and skeet shooting competitions offer the largest challenge.

“It’s a humbling experience,” Dunscomb said.

For Adam Cox, varsity member and sophomore business major, the skeet team offers a different opportunity.

“I joined the trap and skeet team because I thought it was something different on campus, something kind of exciting,” Cox said.

Cox said the team competes against other university teams, including some with Olympic competing members.

“I think the team does a good job representing the school against other schools,” Cox said.

For original club member Scot Heath, member of the trap and skeet team in 1976 and 1977, the club offered a chance to practice shooting.

“It’s a club that competes but you compete individually and I like individual competition,” Heath said.

As with any club, competing is not the only draw.

“I enjoy the camaraderie,” Dunscomb said. “We all have similar interests and we hang out a lot.”

The club sees trap and skeet shooting as part of an older culture and strives to keep it alive.

“It’s a part of a dying culture,” Dunscomb said. “It’s one of those things we want to keep active.”

In an attempt to bring younger shooters to the ranges, the team works with 4-H and Colorado Youth Outdoors members to encourage their interest in shooting sports.

The club also encourages anyone to join, from experienced shooters to those who have never handled a gun before. The only aspect of the team one must try out for is the varsity team.

“For a lot of people it’s a chance to learn something new,” Dunscomb said.

Dunscomb encourages anyone interested in trap and skeet shooting to email him at CSUtrapandskeet@hotmail.com.

“It’s a blast,” Dunscomb said. “Everyone on the team are good people.”

Information Box:

Contact the club at CSUtrapandskeet@hotmail.com