Authors: Amy Bergstrom

By

CSU took a step toward bridging cultural divisions Saturday night in the Lory Student Center North Ballroom.

The first annual Multi-Cultural Dance Festival gave students and community members a taste of ethnic food and a glimpse of cultural dancing, performed by a variety of ethnic and cultural groups, including the African Student Association and Quetzalcoatl, a Hispanic dance ensemble.

The festival was presented by a new student group called Third Culture Diversity Group, which seeks to bring together people of all different interests, ethnicities and cultures.

“I wanted to plan an event for all cultural groups, to break the stereotypes at CSU,” said Miky Kim, president of the group.

The inaugural event attracted more than 150 people, partially because of the dancing and partially because of the food offered. The group tried to offer dishes from the same cultures as the performances, Kim said.

The dishes included enchiladas, African foul and lumpia, a Filipino dish.

The food war prepared by volunteers from Third Culture Diversity Group, with supervision from the Lory Student Center dining staff.

“For a first-time event, I couldn’t have been more pleased, especially with the volunteers,” said Joyce Durol, assistant director of dining services at the student center.

Students who attended appreciated the experience’s cultural value.

“I think it’s an excellent way to celebrate the culture at CSU…and good food too,” said Sarah Doyle, a junior in landscape design and contracting.

Bordin Dechawatanapisal, a mechanical engineering graduate student, said he enjoyed the education value.

“I like to learn and know about other cultures,” he said.

For Christina Yu, a junior in biological sciences, an additional appealing factor was the accessibility of this cultural experience.

“It’s easy to get to,” she said. “You can experience a lot of different stuff without going too far.”

Third Culture Diversity Group is planning more events for this year and plans on making the Multi-Cultural Dance Festival an annual event.