CSU students reflect on war

Authors: Patrick Crossland

From black and white films of World War II to photographs of the jungles of Vietnam, images of war have been a prevalent part of modern society and have impacted the way many people depict war.

For some CSU students the face of war carries a new meaning that is varying and often uncertain.

When Jacob Frost, a natural resource recreation and tourism junior, thinks of war, an image of chaos comes to mind.

“Definitely a lot of mayhem and uncertainty,” he said about war. “Whether justified or not, there’s a lot of uncertainty.”

War has the ability to shake people from their everyday security, he said.

“No matter how secure you are, your world is shaken out of its little groove,” Frost said.

Frost believes this war will not likely be on the scale of past wars because of the unlikelihood that it will last for an extended duration of time.

“Even if it lasts for months or a year, it’s a minor war,” he said. “It’s hard to say when it’s only six days old.”

He predicted the war to last only a year because of a relatively limited outcome of the Iraqi invasion.

“We’ll either get (Saddam Hussein) or he’ll go into exile,” he said. “If they do retaliate we’ll just squash him. He doesn’t have many options for making the war last long.”

For natural resources sophomore Mark Newell, technological advances set this war apart from past wars. Advances in media coverage have brought the images of war to America’s living room.

“I think this war is more televised,” he said. “It is the televised war.”

When thinking about the images of war Newell said he does not think of what we are in now. Advances to warfare and combat have changed the face of war and for some, the way it is perceived.

“It’s not like the Vietnam War where it’s actual guerilla warfare,” he said. “It’s a weird war. When you see it on TV there’s bombs going off in the background and cars driving around.”

History always repeats itself, said Tara Preston, a history education junior. Yet, she said too often people fail to look back on the past.

“I don’t think people look back and learn from mistakes,” she said.

Changes have set this war apart from past wars making it a war like we have not seen before, she said.

“Time changes, technology changes and world-views change,” she said. “It’s totally new, new motives and new outcomes.”

Politics often contribute much to the way people perceive and interpret war.

“This one is unique in that the causes are different,” said Megan Ronnald, a technical journalism sophomore. “The whole nation seems to be in contrast with the president.”

She said new weaponry used for this war could have terrifying affects.

“The weapons we have and they have could do immense damage,” she said. “What we have come up with as far as warfare is terrifying.”