Authors: Troy Briggs

During our prolonged break I was lucky enough to see two of the new Indie films around and I would love to share them with you. I was on a Mayan kick so both of the movies I saw were at that gorgeous Denver theater.

I don’t know if you know this but at most theaters when they ask you if you would like butter, they really mean buttery flavored topping. The Mayan is the exception, real butter to go with their real good movies. I strongly recommend taking a little trip down to D-town to take part in the Indie movie experience this weekend.

“Gerry”

A beautiful, slow-paced treasure. It is a story about two men getting lost in the desert. This is a film that will probably not be most people’s ticket because of the amazingly patient pacing (three people were snoring in the theatre and three more walked out) and yet I implore you to have patience with it and to allow yourself to step into the landscape that is laid out in front of you. I wasn’t disappointed and I don’t think you will be either if you can make that step. “Gerry” is a movie that once it’s over you will need to stand outside for a second looking around, listening, smelling and feeling the air, drink it in.

“City of God”

This is a movie based off the real-life experiences of a photographically inspired youth growing up in a violent neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from the 60’s to the 80’s. This film struck me as almost Shakespearian, with its amazing depth of character and a story that will awe you with its grandeur.