Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

The International Children’s Carnival, themed “Peace of the World,” will take place this Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m.

Jen Johnson, central programming coordinator for Apartment Life, is hoping for a big turn out. The annual event is free and open to the public.

“It’s going to be a super-cool event,” Johnson said. “It’s open for the CSU community as well as the larger Fort Collins community.”

It will be made possible largely by student volunteers, Johnson said.

“Students really enjoy playing with the kids and getting involved,” she said.

More than 10 countries will be represented through different games, crafts and entertainers. Dona Leonard, a master’s student studying occupational therapy, is coordinating a group of children from Aggie Village to perform a dance at the carnival.

“The kids are an amazing bridge for adults of different national backgrounds and cultures to come together,” Leonard said. “I think that’s one of the most inspiring things.”

The event is aimed at children ages three to twelve, but anyone is welcome to participate.

“It’s for the young and the young at heart,” said Jeannie Ortega, Off-Campus Student Services director. Many families, both from CSU and the Fort Collins community are usually drawn to the event.

“It’s a good event for families, for sure,” Johnson said. “It’s a really great event for kids.”

Participants will receive a “passport” when they arrive at the carnival. They will be able to take it around to each of the different countries and get it stamped, as though they were real world travelers. Once they have received stamps from each country, they will receive a small globe.

“It is so much fun,” Ortega said. “It’s just a really neat message.” The message is Peace of the World. Children can not only see a piece of the world, but receive a message of peace, she said.

“It’s a message of peace through children’s eyes,” she said. “It’s very appropriate for this time in our world today.”

This annual event is sponsored by Apartment Life, Off-Campus Student Services, the Residence Hall Association and diversity grants from CSU.