Authors: Joelle Milholm

This battle came down to the last putt.

All junior Martin Laird had to do was put the ball in the hole in one shot and he would edge out West Florida’s Kevin Warrick for El Diablo Intercollegiate Championship. That is exactly what he did.

“It was really exciting to watch Martin play. He didn’t realize that the score was so close until I told him right before the last green,” head coach Jamie Bermel said. “He played really solid and it was impressive to see him shoot seven-under (par).”

His three-day-total was 209.

The rest of the CSU team combined for a tie in fourth place with Ball

State. Wichita State took first place in the 20-team pool, finishing 12 strokes lower than the Rams.

“Overall, as a team, we played OK,” Bermel said. “It was nothing too spectacular.”

The team spent a few days of its spring break in Florida to prepare for the tournament. Junior Nolan Martin tied for 20th, sophomore John Hayes tied for 35th, senior Tommy Sharpe tied for 54th and junior Jim Kurtenbach tied for 58th.

The Rams will now have a break until March 31 when they will tee-off at the 2003 Bite Pacific Coast Intercollegiate in Santa Barbara, Calif.

“It will be good to have a break,” Bermel said. “We will be qualifying for the tournament and I am sure we will be ready to play.”

Women take fifth at Oregon Duck Invite

The CSU women’s golf team moved up a spot in the last day of the 36-hole Oregon Duck Invitational for a fifth place finish, shooting a 927. The Rams had three golfers with scores in the top 20.

Sophomore Lynette Duran tied for eighth, while junior Dawna Virdell and sophomore Trisha Quick both tied for 13th at 213. Junior Stephanie Linnnell took 29th and lone senior Mayumi Motoyama tied for 39th.

The team championship went to Washington State, who ended 18 shots ahead of second-place San Diego State University and far and above the other 10 teams. The individual championship went to Washington State’s Kim Welch finishing seven under.

Up next for the team is the Mountain View Intercollegiate Tournament in Tuscon, Ariz., beginning Saturday.