Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU tennis team will spend its spring break in sunny California. The Rams will take on Cal-State Riverside and Cal-State Fullerton.

They will attempt to bounce back from disappointing losses last weekend to No. 64 Furman and No. 59 Boise State. The two California matches will be the last non-conference tennis that the women will play before taking on Mountain West Conference rivals San Diego State March 29.

The team will compete against Cal-State Riverside on Tuesday and Fullerton the following Thursday. This will be the first time that CSU and Cal-State Fullerton have met in dual-match play.

With the weekend losses, CSU fell to 2-3 in dual-match play this season. The weekend was disastrous for almost everyone. The lone exception was Dasha Zhurin, who continued her undefeated streak by going 2-0 and moving herself to 5-0 in dual-match play and 11-6 overall.

Sanja Hansson was ranked No. 106 but lost to No. 79 Renate Stoop. Hansson was the first player in school history to be ranked nationally. She will likely match up opposite Fullerton’s freshman Ruya Inapulat and sophomore Michelle Beyronneau of Riverside.

Head coach Jon Messick realizes that there is a big difference between playing tennis in the Rockies and at sea-level.

“When we play Furman in Colorado Springs we move the ball about and try and tire them out,” Messick said. “When we go to California, we are going to slow it down a little.”

After their spring break trip, the Rams will have over a week to prepare for the beginning of conference play March 29-30 in Las Vegas, Nev., where they will go up against the Aztecs and UNLV.

CSU’s first home match of the season is April 4, when it hosts New Mexico.